Many homeowners struggle to understand how HVAC systems work. While they know what they are good for, the intricacies of their functions remain a mystery. So, when the issue of air duct cleaning comes up, most are left wondering, what happens during a duct cleaning?
During a duct cleaning, a skilled technician will inspect your HVAC system to identify any potential issues or areas of concern. They will then use specialized tools to dislodge any built-up dirt, debris, or other contaminants in your air ducts. Once complete, they will sanitize the system to eliminate the mess, leaving your air ducts clean and fresh.
Read on for a detailed explanation of what to expect from the cleaning.
Does air duct cleaning make a mess in the house?
Although the cleaning process can be messy, when you hire a reputable and professional duct cleaning company, they’ll not leave your home in a mess.
Expert technicians ensure no dirt or debris is spread throughout your home during the cleaning. They’ll typically use specialized equipment and techniques, including high-powered vacuums, negative air machines, and drop cloths to minimize the potential for a mess. They’ll also wear protective gear like booties to avoid tracking dirt and dust into your home.
Even better, a professional duct cleaning company will take steps to ensure your home is left in the same condition as before the cleaning process began. They’ll carefully replace any furniture or objects moved during the process and clean up any debris or dust that may have been created.
How is the air duct cleaning process done?
The professional cleaner will hook the vacuum collect hose of a powerful and high-efficiency particulate air vacuum (HEPA) to the duct near the handler. To do this, they’ll create an access hole into the duct and then seal it. The technician will seal the supply registers and turn the vacuum on to build up negative pressure for cleaning.
The registers must be sealed for maximum negative pressure. To keep the dust from settling during the process, the technician will stir movement in the ducts using a revolving brush or air-whipping tool. Also, the cleaning should be done one duct at a time, and both the return and supply sides will be attended to.
Before cleaning, the company you hire should come to your property to inspect the supply and return registers. During the inspection, they’ll take pictures or videos, which they’ll use to show before and after the condition of your ducts. They’ll also take note of problems, including kinks, leaks, mold growth, and any damage that needs immediate attention.
The negative pressure (actual cleaning process) will follow, and later, they’ll inspect the ducts with you. This inspection ensures nothing was missed, and you’re satisfied with the results.
How long does the air duct cleaning service take?
Two technicians cleaning a standard single-family home air duct system will take two to four hours to complete. Older homes with pets might take a longer time.
But if we’re to be more accurate, the amount of time taken to clean an air duct system by air duct cleaning professionals depends on several factors, including:
- The size of the system – Comprehensive cleaning for a small property under 3,000sqf will take three hours to clean, while larger properties will take between three and five hours.
- The number of components attached to the system – Ducts have several components that need cleaning, including filters, vents, return registers, dust covers, furnace, and the air conditioning coil. A thorough cleaning job, including dusting these attachments and cleaning or replacing the filters. Unfortunately, ‘professionals’ who promise insanely short cleaning times don’t clean all these attachments.
- Residential or commercial – Aside from the size of your property, the setting is also important. A cleaning company will take longer to clean a commercial property’s air ducts than a residential property. The difference often boils down to accessibility. In residential properties, technicians can clean uninterrupted, while they need to be discreet in commercial spaces, slowing them down.
How to choose an air duct cleaning company
When choosing an HVAC cleaning company, it’s essential to research and choose a reputable and professional company you can trust. But what traits should you be looking for in a cleaning company? Here are some key factors to consider:
- Positive online reviews and testimonials: A reputable duct cleaning company will have a track record of satisfied customers who are happy to recommend their services. While at it, look at how long they’ve been in operation, as this will give you insight into their procedures and cleaning excellence.
- Thorough employee vetting process: The best HVAC cleaning companies will conduct thorough background checks and training for their employees to ensure they are trustworthy and competent. Call the company and enquire about how they conduct background checks, if they perform drug testing and any safety precautions. The last thing you want is to invite a shady individual into your home.
- Updated and professional website: A company that takes its business seriously will have a modern and informative website that provides detailed information about its services and expertise. A professional and presentable site legitimizes a company and gives you all the information you need about them.
- Transparent pricing: Look for a company offering clear, upfront pricing without hidden fees or charges. Hidden and extra fees can be expensive, so you need to know what to expect.
- Proof of insurance: A professional company should carry liability insurance to protect themselves and their customers. They should have general liability insurance that protects them against property damage, personal and commercial harm, medical expenses, and legal fees.
- Comprehensive HVAC maintenance services: Choose a company that offers various HVAC maintenance services, such as furnace cleaning, dryer vent cleaning, and air filter replacement.
By keeping these traits in mind and researching, you can choose a reputable and trustworthy company that will provide high-quality services and peace of mind.
What is the normal price for air duct cleaning?
While the national average is $500, you can expect to part with anything between $270 and $1,000. This price typically includes thoroughly cleaning the entire ducts and other HVAC system components, such as the air handler and furnace.
Some air duct professionals charge per vent, ranging between $25 and $50 per vent, while others charge per square footage. The cost with this approach is $0.15 to $0.30 per sq ft. You may find some companies charge a fixed price for a specific size and then extra for square feet above that.
It’s important to note that while the air duct cleaning costs may seem expensive, it can offer several benefits: improved air quality, reduced energy bills, and system longevity. Plus, regular cleaning can help to reduce the risk of health problems caused by poor indoor air quality, making it a worthwhile investment in the long run.
Hire a professional duct cleaner
Professional air duct cleaning is a necessary and beneficial process that can improve the air quality in your home or business, reduce energy costs, and promote overall health and well-being. While you may be tempted to try cleaning their air duct, this can be risky and ineffective, making matters worse. Hiring a professional company like AirWiz Duct Cleaning is the best way to ensure your air vent system is properly functioning.
By hiring AirWiz Duct Cleaning, you can use the latest technology and techniques to ensure your air ducts are thoroughly cleaned and sanitized with our air duct sanitization service, which has no risk of damage or contamination. You can rest assured that your home or business will be left clean and tidy after the job.
Don’t wait any longer to improve the air quality in your home or business. Contact AirWiz Duct Cleaning today at 301-871–2250 or email us at email@example.com for a free quote or to schedule an air duct cleaning appointment.