How often should I get my air ducts cleaned?
Your air duct system carries a lot of air each day. Along with the air, it carries dust, hair, spiderwebs, mites, mold spores, and dander. With so much debris getting sucked into your ductwork, you might wonder, ‘How often should air ducts be cleaned?’
The NADCA (National Air Duct Cleaners Association) recommends cleaning ducts every three to five years to maintain efficiency. However, this timeline varies based on the number of pets in the home, occupants with allergies or asthma, tobacco smoke, water contamination or damage to the home or air conditioning system, and home renovation or remodeling projects.
Besides cleaning frequency, ensure you get quality air duct cleaning services. At AirWiz Air Duct Cleaning Service, we offer quality services and eliminate air duct problems like mold and rodent infestation for the best results.
How do you know it’s time to clean air ducts?
Clean your air ducts when the ducts are clogged with dust and debris or you notice mold growth and pests in the ducts. Always request the duct cleaning expert to provide you with evidence of the presence of mold and biological contamination.
Visible mold growth in your ducts contaminates your air causing respiratory issues and allergies. Mold growth closer to the air vents is easier to spot but sometimes hides in hard-to-reach spots. In these cases, you can tell if you have a mold infestation from a professional inspection, or its signature musty smell. Before air duct cleaning is done, we recommend mold remediation to prevent recurrence.
Insects, squirrels, mice, and rats sometimes weasel into the ducts. While in the ducts, they build nests and leave behind droppings and bacteria that get blown into your living space. The rodents can also chew through air duct material, causing serious structural damage. Rodent infestations in the air ducts shouldn’t be ignored lest it leads to system inefficiencies and irreparable structural damage.
Your heating and cooling bills should be somewhat predictable. If you get an extremely high utility bill compared to last year’s, it’s probably due to dirty ducts. Dirt stuck in the ducts blocks air flow causing the system to work harder to regulate temperatures.
What are the benefits of duct cleaning?
Air duct cleaning offers many benefits for a healthier, more comfortable living environment. These benefits include:
- Enhanced indoor cleanliness: Duct cleaning minimizes the amount of dust and other particles circulating in your home. This dust settles on your belongings and surfaces, making cleaning your home easier.
- Lower levels of airborne contaminants: Air ducts can harbor various pollutants, such as bacteria, pollen, and mold spores. Thorough cleaning reduces these potential allergens, fostering a healthier indoor environment, which is especially beneficial for allergy sufferers.
- Improved respiratory comfort: Clean air leads to better respiratory health. Removing pollutants from air ducts reduces irritation that can cause coughing or difficulty breathing, making it more comfortable for all residents.
- Elimination of unwanted odors: Over time, particles contributing to musty or unpleasant smells can accumulate in your ductwork. Cleaning these ducts helps eliminate these odors, keeping indoor air fresh and pleasant.
- Increased HVAC efficiency: Dust and debris in the ducts hinder airflow, forcing your system to work harder. Clean ducts allow for optimal airflow, enhancing the efficiency of your HVAC system and potentially reducing energy costs.
How much does air duct cleaning cost?
Air duct cleaning costs vary nationally; the typical quality air duct cleaning service cost hovers around $500, but you may spend anywhere from $ 500 to $1,000.
These actual costs can fluctuate based on your specific circumstances:
- The size and design of your HVAC system: A larger home with more ductwork or a complex system takes more time and effort to clean, increasing the cost.
- The level of contamination in the air ducts: If there is substantial buildup, mold, or a pest infestation, the cleaning process becomes more intensive, potentially requiring specialized equipment or treatments.
- Regional differences: Depending on where you live, labor costs and the cost of living can influence the overall price. It’s always a good idea to obtain several quotes from reputable companies in your area before deciding on a service provider. This will ensure you receive quality service at a fair price.
What are the contaminants in the ducts?
Air duct contaminants include mold spores, bacteria, pollen, dust mites, decaying organic matter, and household chemicals or product residues. Regular air duct system maintenance is key in keeping these contaminants at bay.
Understanding these contaminants and their origin can help you proactively reduce their presence in your air ducts. Regular cleaning, using environmentally friendly products, and ensuring good ventilation can go a long way in maintaining clean air ducts and a healthier indoor environment.
Should I DIY or have professional air duct cleaning?
While some maintenance tasks and home improvements can be DIY projects, it’s advisable to let professionals handle comprehensive air duct cleaning. They possess the necessary equipment and knowledge to thoroughly clean your ducts, which can improve indoor air quality without the hassle and potential risks of a DIY attempt.
A professional duct cleaner has access to high-powered vacuum systems and rotary brushes that effectively dislodge and remove debris from your ductwork. They also understand how to navigate the intricate layout of most duct systems without causing damage, which can be challenging for a novice.
Professionals are also trained to spot and handle potential issues, like mold or pest infestations, that you might overlook. Incomplete or improper cleaning can lead to more problems, including damage to your HVAC system.
What parts of your air duct system need cleaning?
Comprehensive duct cleaning extends beyond just the ducts themselves. The NADCA advocates cleaning the entire system for the best results. The critical components that need cleaning include the following:
- Air ducts: These are the pathways for your conditioned air to travel throughout your home. Over time, they can accumulate dust and debris that must be cleared out.
- Coils: Both evaporator and condenser play a key role in the heat transfer process, and if they’re coated with dust or grime, their efficiency is reduced.
- Drain pan: It collects condensation from your air conditioner and can become moldy if not cleaned regularly.
- Registers and grills: They are output and return vents for your air. They can also gather dust and decrease air quality when your system is running
- Air plenum: It’s responsible for distributing air throughout your home, so it should be kept clean to prevent any contaminant circulation
Hire AirWiz Air Duct Cleaning Service for professional results
Maintaining a clean HVAC system requires expertise, thoroughness, and proper tools. Neglecting any component leads to inefficiencies, decreased air quality, and system breakdowns. That’s where AirWiz Air Duct Cleaning Service steps in, providing professional and comprehensive services that cover all aspects of your duct system.
Don’t wait until dust and contaminants affect your home’s air quality or your HVAC system’s performance. Ensure your comfort and health by scheduling a professional duct cleaning today.
Contact us at 301-871–2250 to book a service or learn how we can help you breathe easier in your home.